These fragrant lemon bars are wonderful eaten on the day they are made, to get the real zingy lemon hit. You can also experiment with other flavors—try them with lime juice and zest, grapefruit, blood orange, or even passionfruit. Recipe adapted from Baking Without Sugar by Sophie Mitchell.
Photography: Pornchai Mittongtare; Food Styling: Claire Stancer; Prop stylist: Robin Turk
- 24 BarsServings
1 cup coconut flour
2/3 cup cashew butter
½ cup butter
Juice of ½ lemon
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Zest of 2 lemons and juice of 6 lemons
1 cup erythritol (use NOW Foods brand)
3 Tbs. corn starch
Erythritol to dust (approx. 2 tsp.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix coconut flour, cashew butter, butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla together in medium bowl.
- Line baking tray with parchment paper and carefully press mix into bottom; spread as evenly as possible, and prick all over with fork.
- Cook about 15 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Reduce heat to 325°F. Remove tray and cool completely.
- For the filling: In a large bowl, whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, erythritol, eggs, and corn starch until well- combined and lump-free. Pour mix carefully over base, and return to oven for 20 minutes, or until just set and a little wobbly.
- Remove and cool completely before cutting into bars. Sprinkle with erythritol, if desired.
- Calories: 120
- Carbohydrate Content: 15 g
- Cholesterol Content: 55 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 80 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g