Swiss Chard and Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta
This colorful twist on bruschetta makes a fresh, simple summer appetizer.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Use a variety of tomatoes—red, orange, yellow, purple—for the prettiest presentation. And if you can’t find colors, ripe red tomatoes are just as delicious. For a wheat-free option, use gluten-free baguette or bread, and skip the cheese to make it vegan. Save the chard stems; you can brush them with olive oil and toss on the grill till crispy for a fun side.
- 1 bunch Swiss chard
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, plus additional for brushing baguette
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 cup coarsely chopped heirloom tomatoes
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped basil leaves
- One small whole-grain baguette, or one-half large baguette
- Shaved Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Remove stems from chard and save for later use. Chop leaves into small pieces. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add chard leaves and sauté for 3–4 minutes, until just softened. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Stir in tomatoes, basil, and remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and let stand at room temperature while bread is grilling.
2. Preheat grill. Using a sharp bread knife, slice baguette on the diagonal into half- inch thick slices (about 12 slices). Arrange slices on a large baking sheet and brush both sides with olive oil. Place slices on hot grill and cook for 2–4 minutes, until toasted on one side.
3. Arrange baguette slices on a large serving platter. Using a slotted spoon to drain off any excess liquid, place a heaping spoonful of bruschetta mixture on top of each slice. Top with shaved cheese, if desired, and serve immediately.
- Serving Size 2 bruschettas
- Calories 80
- Carbohydrate Content 8 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 70 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g