Our autumn-inspired recipe, made with vitamin B-packed nutritional yeast, will soothe your soul on a cool night
What Is Nutritional Yeast?
This savory superfood is a type of deactivated yeast, usually produced from a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. It lends a cheesy, nutty flavor to recipes (yet it’s vegan). One serving (¼ cup) has 60 calories, 8 grams of protein, and 3 grams of fiber. Not too shabby! Most health food stores carry nutritional yeast flakes, powder, tablets and capsules.
Learn the differences between nutritional yeast and brewer’s yeast, including their unique vitamin makeups and flavor distinctions, at betternutrition.com/yeast.
- 2 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 2 Tbs. avocado oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3½ oz. shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 5 oz. cremini mushrooms, chopped
- ½ tsp. each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 2 Tbs. unsalted tomato paste
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1½ cups marinara sauce
- 1 Tbs. coconut aminos
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup + 1 Tbs. nutritional yeast, divided
- ¼ cup sliced fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Wrap each squash half in foil and place on baking sheet. Bake until squash flesh is soft when poked with fork, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, shiitake, and cremini mushrooms, salt, and pepper, and sauté 5 minutes. Add turkey, and cook 5 minutes more, breaking up with wooden spoon. Add tomato paste, thyme, and smoked paprika. Stir to combine, and cook 3 minutes more.
- Stir in marinara, coconut aminos, and vinegar. Add bay leaf, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 25 minutes. Stir in ¼ cup nutritional yeast. Remove bay leaf.
- To serve, divide turkey mixture among roasted squash halves. Top with remaining nutritional yeast and basil.
- Calories: 440
- Carbohydrate Content: 42 g
- Cholesterol Content: 85 mg
- Fat Content: 19 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 29 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3.5 g
- Sodium Content: 900 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g