For more about this recipe: What Is Aquafaba?
- Place chocolate chips in metal bowl, and place bowl over a pot of water. Bring to a simmer, and melt chocolate, stirring frequently with spatula until melted and smooth. (You can also melt chocolate in a microwave.) Let cool slightly.
- While chocolate is melting, open can of beans and drain liquid into bowl of standing mixer; be sure to get as much liquid out of the can as possible. Reserve beans for another use.
- Sprinkle cream of tartar over top of bean water. Place bowl in mixer, and using whisk attachment, whisk until soft peaks form, about 10 minutes. Once peaks form, sprinkle in cane sugar and peppermint extract. Whisk again 2 minutes.
- Remove bowl from mixer, and pour about 1/4 of whipped aquafaba into chocolate. Using rubber spatula, gently fold in aquafaba until incorporated. Repeat with remaining aquafaba, being sure to mix gently but completely.
- Divide mixture evenly among four wine glasses or serving bowls. Let chill at least 3 hours. To serve, remove from refrigerator and top with vegan topping, if desired. Serve immediately.