Twin sisters and bestselling authors Judi and Shari Zucker have done it again. The authors of several healthy cookbooks prove just how delicious allergy-free can be with their latest, The Ultimate Allergy-Free Cookbook: Over 150 Easy-to-Make Recipes That Contain No Milk, Eggs, Wheat, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Soy, Fish or Shellfish. Featuring dishes made without the most common allergenic foods, this easy-to-access cookbook is designed for adults and kids with all types of food allergies, from mild to severe. And because the authors' selection of appetizers, snacks, sides, main dishes, and desserts are truly easy to prepare and family-friendly (and made with simple, fresh ingredients), even people who aren't on a restrictive diet will find them appealing. In addition to the delicious lo mein featured here (excerpted from the book), be sure to try the "Mac-n-Cheese," one of the Zuckers' favorites. Other gems include "Bell Pepper and Black Bean Sliders," "Granny's Apple Crisp," Tangy Orange-Laced Soba Noodles," and "Festive Fiesta Rice Salad."
Veggie Lo Mein
Makes 4 servings
We love this classic Asian-inspired dish, which is loaded with both vegetables and flavor. Add grilled chicken, shrimp, or other lean protein for a heartier dish.
8 oz. gluten-free spaghetti
¼ cup vegetable broth
2 Tbs. soy-free soy sauce or coconut aminos
1 Tbs. agave nectar
1 Tbs. arrowroot powder
½ tsp. red pepper flakes
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup trimmed snow peas or sugar snap peas
½ cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
1 cup mung bean sprouts
4 scallions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
2 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds or hemp seeds (optional)
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain, rinse under cold water, and set aside.
- Place broth, soy-free soy sauce, agave nectar, arrowroot powder, and hot pepper flakes in medium bowl. Stir well, and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-low heat. Add snow peas, bell pepper, mung sprouts, scallions, and garlic, and sauté another 2 minutes, or until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Add broth mixture to skillet, and simmer ingredients while stirring, 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Add pasta, and toss well to combine.
- Transfer to serving bowl, sprinkle with fresh ginger and toasted sesame seeds (if using), and enjoy immediately.
per serving: 34 cal; 7g pro; 11g fat (2g sat fat); 58g carb; 210g sod; 4g fiber; 7g sugars
Visit doubleenergytwins.com to learn more about Judi and Shari Zucker, get more recipes, and see clips of the pair on national-TV appearances.