This sneaky lasagna not only swaps zucchini for noodles, but also incorporates vegetables into the sauce for extra fiber, antioxidants, and vitamins.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
For more Healthy and Hearty Nutrient Dense Recipes
- 2-3 Tbs. olive oil
- 3-4 medium to large zucchini
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 small yellow onion
- 1 cup spinach, loosely packed
- 1 26-oz. jar pasta sauce
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F, and coat two baking pans with olive oil. Thinly slice zucchini lengthwise using mandoline slicer or very sharp knife. Arrange on
- baking sheets, and bake 10 minutes,
- until tender. Remove from oven and
- let cool slightly.
- While zucchini is cooking, place carrot, broccoli, onion, and spinach in food
- processor, and chop into very small pieces. Combine chopped vegetables with pasta sauce in medium pan. Bring
- to high simmer, and cook, covered,
- minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- While sauce simmers, wrap tofu in clean dish cloth, and press firmly with hands to remove as much water as possible. Crumble tofu into bowl, and set aside.
- To assemble lasagna, spread thin layer of sauce on bottom of large casserole dish. Arrange a layer of zucchini, then top with crumbled tofu and shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat until all zucchini, sauce, and cheese are gone (two to three layers). Top with Parmesan cheese and bake 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted and casserole is hot. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Calories 220
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 10 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3.5 g
- Sodium Content 500 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g