Zucchini Bites with Quinoa, Pomegranates, and Pumpkin Seeds
This easy, low-starch take on stuffed squash features ready-to-eat quinoa and fast-cooking zucchini for a vegetable-heavy, colorful app. Or substitute delicata squash for the zucchini for a more traditional winter squash dish.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
If oven space is tight, pre-cook the zucchini rings the night before; then heat the quinoa blend and top them just before serving.
For more about this recipe: Superfood Thanksgiving
- 2 large zucchini
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups loosely packed baby spinach, finely chopped
- 2 (8-oz.) pouches Ancient Harvest Microwavable Organic Quinoa
- 1/4 cup chopped pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbs. fresh thyme leaves
- 3 Tbs. pomegranate seeds
- Pomegranate molasses for garnish (substitute balsamic glaze)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut zucchini horizontally into 3/4-inch rings. With melon baller, gently create a small hollow in each ring, leaving a layer on the bottom to hold stuffing. Toss zucchini rings with 2 Tbs. olive oil, and roast 20 minutes, flipping halfway through, until just tender but still firm.
- During last 5 minutes of zucchini roasting time, heat remaining olive oil in large pan, and sauté shallots and garlic 3 minutes. Stir in spinach, quinoa, pumpkin seeds, and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover pan, reduce heat to low, and keep warm.
- Remove zucchini rings from oven and let cool 3 minutes. Using spatula, carefully transfer rings to large serving platter. Stir pomegranates into quinoa mixture. Top each ring with quinoa mixture; reserve any extras for later use. Drizzle with pomegranate molasses or balsamic glaze, and serve immediately.
- Calories 200
- Carbohydrate Content 25 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 160 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g